Traditional enchiladas are often loaded with fats from rich sauces, cheeses, and meat along with high carb tortillas resulting in overall excessive calories. This recipe lightens everything up by using Greek yogurt in the sauce, lean chicken breast rather than thighs, reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese (found in most groceries – look for the store brand or Kraft 2%) and low carb extra thin corn tortillas (we like mission) for an all-around more balanced recipe.
We promise this low carb, yet delicious spin on chicken enchiladas will keep the whole family feeling happy and full! The recipe makes 6 servings but could easily be doubled to feed a crowd. Pair with a big green salad and a low-calorie dressing and wa-la dinner is served!
1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 – 28 ounce can green enchilada sauce
2 – 4 ounce can diced green chiles
2 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp chili powder (to taste)
1 tsp salt
2-3 lbs chicken breast, 3 cups cooked & chopped (baked or grilled)
2 cups reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese (such as Kraft 2%)
12 extra thin corn tortillas (such as Mission)
1 Bunch Cilantro (optional)
- Cook and chop the chicken breast if not done (rotisserie chicken would work).
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix the Greek yogurt, green enchilada sauce, diced green chiles, and spices (cumin, chili powder, salt) together until well combined.
- Put a large spoonful of the sauce on the bottom of the prepared dish and spread to the edges.
- Place 4 of the extra thin corn tortillas at the bottom of the dish – you may need to tear them in half to make them fit (doesn’t have to cover every inch of the pan but layer as evenly as you can). Add 1/2 of the cooked chicken, 1/3 of the remaining sauce, 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat step 6
- Place the last 4 tortillas on top, then the remainder of the sauce, and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes until the cheese is melted and starting to brown slightly.
- Optional: Top with a small dollop of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro or see note below.
Flavor Note: To add an extra punch of flavor make a spicy “cream” sauce to drizzle on top by blending ½-1 cup of Greek yogurt with 1-2 chiles in adobo (adjust to your preferred heat level) for only about 30 extra calories.
Nutrition Breakdown (No Toppings): Recipe makes 6 servings. For 1/6 of casserole: Calories 357, Fat 12g, Protein 36g, Carbs 27g, Sugar 3.5g, Fiber 3g
Greek Yogurt + Chiles in Adobo Sauce: Approx.for 2 TBSP:Calories 28, Fat 0.3g, Protein 1.7g, Sugar 0g, Fiber 0g
|Low Carb Stacked Chicken Enchiladas||Calories (kCal)||Fat (g)||Protein (g)||Carbs (g)||Sugar (g)||Sodium (mg)||Fiber (g)|
|1 cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt||120||0||23||7||0||140||0|
|28 oz green enchilada sauce||225||13||0||36||9||2,520||0|
|8 oz diced green chiles||40||0||0||8||0||90||0|
|3 cups cooked chicken||634||13||122||0||0||265||0|
|2 cup reduced fat cheese||640||40||56||16||0||1,760||0|
|12 extra thin corn tortillas||480||6||12||96||12||40||16|
|1 tsp Salt||0||0||0||0||0||2,325||0|
|Per Serving (1/6 recipe)||357||12||36||27||3.5||1,190||3|