For people just beginning their weight loss journey, a low carb diet may be a good place to start. There’s no calorie counting involved and no feeling hungry.
Patients will be counseled on how to minimize their intake of sugary and starchy foods and, instead, focus on eating foods like vegetables and protein. At Houston Weight Loss & Lipo Centers, we work closely with our patients to teach them all about low carb diets and weight loss programs. Contact us today at one of our two conveniently located centers in Houston or Katy, TX to learn more.
About Low Carb Diets
Low carb diets, also called low carb high fat (LCHF) diets, consist of consuming less carbohydrates and more protein and healthy fat. There’s no counting calories or skipping meals. Patients simply avoid and eliminate certain foods from their diet while increasing their intake of healthy, low carb foods.
In a low carb diet, patients are instructed to consume 130 grams or less of carbohydrates a day. Fruit, bread, sweets, and pasta should be avoided, along with other items. Instead, they should focus on filling their diet with proteins, such as meat, seafood, eggs, and vegetables.
Some examples of healthy foods to eat while on a low carb diet include:
- Meat: Chicken, beef, and more
- Fish: Salmon, trout, cod, and more
- Vegetables: Broccoli, bell peppers, asparagus, zucchini, spinach, avocado, and more
Some examples of foods that should be avoided while on a low carb diet include:
- Sugary drinks: sodas, fruit juices, energy drinks, and more
- Gluten: Wheat, barley, and rye, including pasta and bread
- Sweets: Desserts or anything with high sugar content
In general, patients should avoid foods that are highly processed or that have a long ingredient list including ingredients that are difficult to pronounce. Patients should focus on eating “real food.”
How Low Carb Diets Work
Low carb diets work by eliminating sugar and starches. By avoiding these foods, the patient’s blood sugar levels will stabilize and, as a result, insulin levels will drop. Insulin is a hormone that is responsible for storing fat. This will increase fat burning and help patients feel full faster, leading to weight loss.
Many people have seen success with low carb diets, which explains the proliferation of diets such as Atkins and South Beach. However, low carb diets should never take a “one size fits all” approach. At Houston Weight Loss & Lipo Centers, we use multiple methods, including evaluating the patient’s BMI (Body Mass Index) and BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate.)
Benefits of Low Carb Diets
Low carb diets will aid in weight loss, but they have many other potential benefits as well.
- Prevent or Reverse Type 2 Diabetes: Since low carb diets help normalize blood sugar, they can also potentially reverse type 2 diabetes. Furthermore, this diet can help patients with type 1 diabetes manage their condition.
- Calmer stomach: A low carb diet has been shown to help ease and calm the stomach, minimizes cramps, bloating, and gas.
- Slash sugar cravings: A low carb diet can help reduce or even eliminate cravings for sugars and sweets.
- Improve acne: A low carb diet can help stop breakouts.
- Increase physical endurance: By accessing fat stores for energy instead of stored carbohydrates, physical endurance can improve in the long term.
- Reduce or eliminate migraines: In some cases, low carb diets can minimize the frequency or eliminate migraines.
Since there are many benefits of low carb diets besides simply weight loss, many people can be considered good candidates. A low carb and low glycemic diet is often recommend to patients just starting their weight loss journey or those who have plateaued on other weight loss regimens.
However, low carb diets are not for everybody. We do not recommend low carb diets to those who suffer from hormonal imbalances, adrenal fatigue, or have a history of anorexia or bulimia.
In order to get more information on weight loss and low carb diets, please contact Houston Weight Loss & Lipo Centers. Our doctors, nurses, and physicians work personally with patients to come up with a plan that will help them achieve and maintain their goals.
Low carb diets have shown incredible short term results and have proven tremendously successful in helping patients who have difficulty eating in moderation. Some patients will begin seeing results in as little as two weeks. In order to maintain long lasting effects and continuous weight loss, patients may need to supplement this diet with a low-calorie diet. At Houston Weight Loss & Lipo Centers, we are dedicated to working with our patients long term to help them reach their desired goals in a way that fits their individual lifestyle.