Low Fat BBQ Pulled Pork – Two Ways
The back-to-school season can be hectic and overwhelming for many. Between getting supplies, first day of school, meeting the teacher, and starting up extracurricular activities, it is so easy to put healthy eating on the back burner. But during these busy seasons in life, it’s important to remember the basics of weight loss 101 and to be extra focused on healthy foundational habits. Staying on track with nutrition during a busy season will take some planning and preparation – but a little bit of preparation can go a long way. This could include meal prepping some items at the beginning of each week, making sure you stock up on easy-to-grab healthy snacks, or squeezing in exercise/walking between drop-offs, football practice, or teacher meetings. These simple acts will make a HUGE difference especially when grabbing takeout or delivery pizza becomes more and more tempting.
If you are looking for some easy, low effort dinners to incorporate during the week – try out this crockpot bbq pulled pork recipe that can be used two ways and you’ll have two nights of healthy, delicious meals covered! This is a great option for meal prep since you can throw the pork tenderloin in the crockpot to cook and have several meals that can be easily thrown together during the busy weeknights. Below you’ll find the crockpot bbq pulled pork recipe along with two healthy recipes that incorporate it – pulled pork bowls and pulled pork sliders.
BBQ Pulled Pork FAQs
What cut of meat is typically used for pulled pork pork?
The cut that is most often used for pulled pork is pork butt or pork shoulder. For this version we are using pork tenderloin for a leaner, protein-packed option that still works and tastes great!
How do you make pulled pork in the crockpot?
All you will need to do to make pulled pork in the crockpot is trim the pork tenderloins of excess fat, rub the seasoning mix all over each tenderloin, set in crockpot, pour in liquid, then cook on low for 4-6 hours. Once cooked, you’ll remove the pork and shred with two forks, then add it back to the liquid in the crockpot (or shred directly in the crockpot). Voilà!
What should I eat with the pulled pork?
We’ve included two delicious recipes that incorporate this pulled pork recipe below. The first recipe is bbq pulled pork bowls and the second recipe is bbq pulled pork sliders – yum! Pulled pork is so versatile though so feel free to get creative – you could use it in tacos, salads, baked potatoes, etc.
Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork Recipe (8-10 Servings)
- 2-3 lbs pork tenderloin (about 2 tenderloins)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ½ TBSP Liquid Smoke
- 1.5 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup G Hughes BBQ (add after cooking)
- Trim fat and silver skin from pork tenderloins.
- In a small bowl mix all the dry ingredients (paprika, garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, salt, pepper). Rub over the surface of the pork tenderloins.
- Place pork tenderloins in the crockpot. Pour the chicken broth and liquid smoke around the tenderloins.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until pork can be easily shredded with a fork.
- Once cooked, shred using two forks. Mix with any remaining liquid. Add 1 cup of G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ sauce and mix.
|Pulled Pork Tenderloin in Crockpot||Calories||Carbs (g)||Fat (g)||Protein (g)|
|2.5 lbs Pork Tenderloin (Raw)||816||0||24||144|
|1 cup G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ||160||32||0||0|
|1.5 cup Chicken Broth||18||2||0||2|
|Per Serving (1/10 of Recipe)||99||3||2||15|
Recipe Option #1: BBQ Pulled Pork Bowls
Ingredients (1 Bowl):
- 1 serving of bbq pulled pork (1/10 of recipe or approximately 100 grams)
- ½ cup frozen cauliflower rice
- ¼ cup sweet corn
- ¼ cup black beans
- ¼ cup fresh diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup avocado diced
- ¼ cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 2 TBSP Bolthouse Farms Cilantro Avocado Dressing
- 1 TBSP G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ
- Steam bag of frozen cauliflower rice. Place ½ cup in a bowl.
- If using pork from leftovers be sure to crisp up in a skillet (preferred) or heat up in microwave. Add serving of the crockpot bbq pulled pork to bowl.
- Top with corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, avocado, and shredded cheese
- Drizzle cilantro avocado dressing and bbq sauce over the top. Enjoy!
|BBQ Pulled Pork Bowls||Calories||Carbs (g)||Fat (g)||Protein (g)|
|1 serving Pulled Pork||99||3||2||15|
|1/2 cup Cauliflower Rice||19||3||0||2|
|1/4 cup Sweet Corn||26||6||0||1|
|1/4 cup Black Beans||55||10||0||4|
|1/4 cup Diced Tomatoes||13||3||0||1|
|1/4 cup sliced Avocado||60||3||6||1|
|1/4 cup Reduced Fat Mexican Blend Cheese||79||1||6||7|
|2 TBSP Bolthouse Farms Cilantro Avocado Dressing||40||2||4||1|
|1 TBSP G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ||5||1||0||0|
|Total (1 Bowl)||396||32||17||31|
Recipe Option #2: BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders
Ingredients (1 Serving = 2 Sliders):
- 2 Hawaiian Slider Buns
- 1 serving crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork
- ½ cup coleslaw (recipe below)
- ¼ cup diced or sliced Gala Apple
- 2 TBSP G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ Sauce
For the Cole Slaw (Makes 3-4 Servings):
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 2-3 tbsp nonfat plan Greek yogurt
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 10-12 oz cabbage or coleslaw mix
Mix dressing ingredients together. Toss with the cabbage/coleslaw mix.
Pulled Pork Sliders Directions:
- Toast 2 slider buns either in the oven or in a toaster.
- Place sliced gala apple on the bottom buns.
- If using pork from leftovers be sure to crisp up in a skillet (preferred) or heat up in microwave. Split the serving of the pulled pork between the two buns and place on top of the apple.
- Drizzle the BBQ sauce over top of the pork.
- Then take the prepared coleslaw and layer on top of the pork.
- Put the tops of the buns on and enjoy – it can get messy! Serve with watermelon, more coleslaw, or a fresh green salad!
|Pulled Pork Sliders||Calories||Carbs (g)||Fat (g)||Protein (g)|
|2 Hawaiian Slider Buns||180||30||4||6|
|1 serving Pulled Pork||18||3||0||1|
|2 TBSP G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ||10||2||0||0|
|1/2 cup Coleslaw||17||3||0||2|
|1/4 cup sliced or diced Gala Apple||16||4||0||0|
|Total (2 Sliders)||225||38||4||8|