One of the great things about a low carb diet is that it can really simplify things. There are some fairly complex low-carb recipes out there with tons of ingredients and lots of prep time – usually recipes that are trying to make a low-carb version of something that isn’t usually low carb. There’s nothing wrong with getting creative, but some days you just don’t have time for a lot of meal prep. You need to have some quick, easy meals that still taste good but fit your diet plan. That’s where simple recipes like this 5-ingredient zucchini noodles (or “zoodles”) really shine.
If you’re working from home, this is a great quick lunch, or it could also be an easy dinner (whoever said you can’t have eggs for dinner was wrong!). We highly recommend buying pre-made pesto. Fresh pesto is great, but pre-made will save time (and money). If you can find them, (H-E-B often stocks them), you can also get pre-cut zucchini noodles, which saves even more time. Can’t find pre-made? We highly recommend investing in a spiralizer to make vegetables noodles quickly. It’s also a great tool for stir-fried veggies, another kind of meal that’s easy to make low-carb.
The pesto adds a punch of flavor in this dish, but if you want even more, we highly recommend some hot sauce! Liking spicy foods is definitely an advantage on a low-carb diet, as they allow you to add a lot of flavor without a lot of calories. A hot sauce like tabasco, Crystal, or Louisiana is perfect for this meal. Crushed red pepper is also a great addition. If you want less spicy, try some black pepper.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini or 1 cup of prepared zucchini noodles
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- 1 large egg
- Hot sauce and/or red chili flakes (optional)
Total time: 10 minutes | Servings: 1
- If you have a whole zucchini, then cuts into zoodles. You can use a spiralizer, or use a chef’s knife and julienne (cut into matchsticks).
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Cook zucchini noodles until just tender, about two minutes, then turn off heat. Add pest and stir to coat.
- Remove zucchini noodles from pan and onto a plate. Add a dash of salt if desired.
- Return pan to stove and turn heat to medium. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Crack the egg onto the pan. Cook until the whites are opaque, then cover and cook 2-3 minutes until yolk is firm but still runny. Remove from pan and place on top of zoodles.
- Add hot sauce, black pepper, or red chili flakes as desired. Enjoy!
Makes one serving (1-2 cups).
Total Calories (1 serving) 383, Fat 36.25g, Protein 9g, Carbohydrates 7.25g, Sodium 241 mg, fiber 2.5g
|Dash of Salt||0||0||0||0||0||155||0|